Friday, July 20, 2012

Running

I'm running from all of the chaos, uncertainty and destruction: oppressive heat, trees on houses, fires on the ground, drought on our farms and guns at our movie theaters.

I'm running towards the love of a baby, the adoration of an almost 4 year old and the belief that if I run fast enough, smart enough, I can keep us all safe. I can keep us all happy.

I run through my day at work to get back to them. I run out of my house to get into my office to do it all over again.

But last night, I laced up my shoes and ran for real where it matters and where it belongs - on the track. It was 95 degrees but I ran. I wanted to stop but I ran. I found others that shared my need to move and my desire to stop and we ran together.

Then I walked into my house and I stopped running.

When the running stops the rest of my life is allowed space to come back into focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment